Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2020

PAD Challenge, Day 23: Social (blank)

From Writer's Digest PAD Challenge:

We only have a week of this challenge remaining. Let’s make it count.

For today’s prompt, take the phrase “Social (blank),” replace the blank with a word or phrase, make the new phrase the title of your poem, and then, write your poem. Possible titles could include: “Social Distancing at the Grocery Store,” “Social Media Trolls,” “Social Club,” and/or “Social Distortion.” Heck, flipping the script to come up with a title like “Ice Cream Social” would totally work too.

Remember: These prompts are just springboards; you have the freedom to jump in any direction you want. In other words, it’s more important to write a new poem than to stick to the prompt.

10 comments :

  1. This is one of those poems that went elsewhere than planned. It was just supposed to be about "small talk" but ended up being about when I first moved down here and we were invited to neighborhood dinners but after a year or so, we no longer were. LOL.

    Was never good at social graces.
    You really couldn't take me places
    expecting me to smile and nod,
    pretend I'm normal, not act odd.

    Pretend that everything's all right,
    agree with neighbors, never fight.
    They wonder why I walk away,
    but I really don't know what to say

    that won't offend their southern sense.
    I say some words and watch them tense.
    I don't the things they need to hear.
    I'll just sit quiet, drink a beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whose world is this? I do not know.
    All kinds of lives to choose from though;
    The old, the young and in-between,
    of plants and pets and people bro’

    Plants are diverse and fill the scene,
    create air which is pretty keen,
    plus food for vegetarians!
    Socially, gifts for John, Jane, Jean.....

    Pets or mammals or reptilians
    Love us or provide some protein.
    Live In the home or in the wild
    Socially watched. Be entertained.

    Social people want a life “styled”
    with pets and plants to feel worthwhile.
    The world embraced us all and smiled
    The world belongs to any child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially like he way you end his. Very sweet!

      Delete
  3. Nice job of recreating Frost’s form. And I love the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOCIAL DISTANCING

    It’s pleasant if you’re jiggly, and pleasant if you’re firmer,
    With social distancing it’s safe to practice anasyrma.


    (Look it up)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An Introvert's Song

    Some people are social,
    Not me! An introvert from the beginning,
    though I'd like to be, to be sure,
    I never know what to say,
    so I smile and smile away,
    and encourage folk to be free
    to chat, and I'll willingly listen
    to whatever they wish to say.

    ReplyDelete